Question of The Week: Which Question Do You Want to Answer?

Last week we celebrated the one year anniversary of the Merseyside Skeptics Society with a special Liverpool Skeptics in The Pub, which included a live recording of our podcast Skeptics With a K. In a change from our usual dictatorial style, we asked the audience for suggestions for a Question of The Week, and ended up with two of them!

Questions that is, not audience members.

In the interests of fun, and because it means we don’t have to make a decision about it, we’ve decided that instead of choosing only one of them as this week’s question, we’ll let you answer both. Think of it as a Question of The Year as well as a Question of The Week, an extra special gift from us to you!

So this week’s Question(s) of The Week, courtesy of Andrew Johnston and Tom Williamson are:

1/ If you could have three dinner guests, one living, one dead and one ‘woo’, who would they be?

2/ What ‘woo’ presents have you received?

Maybe you have a thing for white beards and want to have dinner with James Randi, Darwin and Santa; or maybe you once recieved a ‘genuine’ Mayan crystal skull from a boyfriend or girlfriend. Whatever it is, we want to know. I’ll leave the definition of ‘woo’ here deliberately vague, so no-one feels limited. It’s up to your good selves whether you answer one or both questions.

Please leave your answers in the comments section below.

1. #1 by Chris rummenie on February 27, 2010 - 13:28

George Hrab, Frank Zappa, Jimmy Swagert.

2. #2 by Simon Nurse on February 27, 2010 - 23:54

1. For me, It would have to be Douglas Adams, Rich Hall and Shirley Maclaine (let the elderflower wine flow). That would be a truly entertaining dinner party.
    2. I’d like to say I was given a ‘genuine’ toe clipping from St Francis of Assisi or similar, but sadly, it’s going to be something pretty bloody mundane like relaxing bath salts. On reflection, my friends and family wouldn’t appear to buy into claptrap either.

3. #3 by Hayley on February 28, 2010 - 12:28

1. Terry Pratchett because he’s a bit of a legend IMO, Carl Sagan because he’s a bit of a legend IMO and Harry Price because he’s a bit of a legend IMO.

2. When I first started with my paranormal research I recieved a gris gris which is a voodoo practice for good/bad luck/spiritual protection.
    I also recieved some smudging sticks that a friend had bought for me in Glastonbury so I could conduct exorcisms of evil spirits if I needed to which was a bit odd. Oh, and I was also given a bracelet made of amethyst that was supposed to protect me from demons. Strangely… it worked ;P

4. #4 by Rich on February 28, 2010 - 18:33

1. Stewart Lee, Aleister Crowley (dead and woo; so can I have another-hanging on by his fingernails- weird one?), Steve Ditko.

2. Nothing, I’m afraid. I bought a few myself when I was younger.

5. #5 by AJ on February 28, 2010 - 20:57

1. Am I allowed to answer my own question? Living: Sam Harris, Dead: Carl Sagan and Woo: David Icke. Would provide an evening of awe, wonder and comedy genius in equal measures.

2. Never received any woo pressies, unfortunately.

6. #6 by Michael Gray on February 28, 2010 - 21:10

Does Kirk Cameron count as “dead”?

7. #7 by Martin on March 1, 2010 - 01:31

Living: Christopher Hitchens
    Dead: Harry Houdini
    Woo: Peter Popoff (or some similar wide-reaching, life-reducing piece of scum…not too nice a description, but neither are his actions, nor his words)

In jest, I was given a set of instructions for a homoeopathic cure for blindness that had me waft my hand towards my nether parts in the hope that the highly diluted form of ‘self-abuse’ would right the blindness. I have to point out that I’m not blind, a hint to the jesting nature of the gift, and have never really had a gift I could categorise as true woo-woo.

8. #8 by Rachel on March 1, 2010 - 15:55

1. Living: Stephen Fry
    Dead: Douglas Adams
    Woo: David Icke

All three are comedy gold in their own way and utterly fascinating.

2. Just the usual girly dreamcatcher and horoscope stuff, nothing out of the ordinary.

9. #9 by Jo on March 1, 2010 - 19:50

1) Living: Eddie Izzard, Dead: Morecambe & Wise (they count as one guest in my book) and Woo: Uri Gellar – to see if he brought his own cutlery. If nothing else I’d be guaranteed a laugh from/at one or more of them.

2) I was bought some reflexology insoles for Christmas by someone who patently hadn’t put much effort into my presents – as far as I know it’s still shoved in a drawer somewhere still in the packaging.

10. #10 by Jo on March 1, 2010 - 19:50

Just realised I spelt Geller wrongly. Apologies!

11. #11 by Stu on March 2, 2010 - 09:06

Having just finished “The Greatest Show on Earth.” I’m afraid it would be Darwin/Dawkins (not very original I know) and for the woo I’d like the pope/archbishop of canterbury or head of any church just so I could watch Dawkins tie them in knots.

I was once bought a pyramid by a girlfriend. The unfortunate thing was that I lived with her so it was constantly on display in our living room and, as the owner of the remarkable ‘power harnessing’ miracle, it was me who had to explain what it was to friends/visitors! Never blushed so much in my life!

12. #12 by Helen on March 2, 2010 - 13:07

Living – Neil Gaiman
    Dead – Pete McGovern
    Woo – Terry Pratchett

I realise this is a terribly cliched list (with the exception of Pete), but 😛

As for a woo pressie…tickets to the Led Zeppelin reunion gig. I heard the annoucement they were getting back together for a one off when I was in hospital and high as heaven on morphine. For days afterwards (dug-addled and slurring) all I could talk about was going. A few months later they did the ticket lottery, and one of my friends was lucky enough to win. When he called me up at 7am to ask if I wanted to go with him I was convinced he was taking the piss. That was until he forwarded the confirmation email…at which point I screamed 😀

Best. Present. Ever.

13. #13 by Dave on March 3, 2010 - 20:54

Living: I’d like to say something really intelligent but I’m afraid it would have to be Kelly Brook
    Dead: Richard Feynman but I’d like to keep Hunter Thompson on standby in case Richard couldn’t make it. (I have no idea how this would work)
    Woo: A spokesman from the BCA

14. #14 by scepticarla on March 13, 2010 - 17:53

Living – Dr Steve Novella
    Dead – Sir Francis Bacon
    Woo – I would like to invite Colin Fry’s spirit guide “Magnus” I reckon that would be hilarious. Especially as Dr Novella would probably have the power to have him sectioned!

Woo pressie? Was once given a gem stone to ensure good health. Absolute rubbish.