Derren Brown Investigates… Joe Power

Sometimes, just sometimes, I could almost be convinced that there’s someone up there listening. Not all the time, of course, and only half-heartedly – I’m not about to go all Goddy on you guys – but who could blame me, when things like this happen:

Derren Brown – beardy mind-meddler and generally top fella – investigates those who claim to have psychic powers… starting with my old mate Joe Power. I’ll come to Joe in a moment (we’ve a bit of a history), but first I’d like to say well done to Derren. I remember after his ‘Messiah’ show, it looked like he was heading into a more publicly skeptical position. While that hasn’t happened quite as far as we’d have liked (the lottery show for example), this latest show, coupled with his role in ‘Science of Scams’ suggests that skepticism is something Derren’s focusing on a little more. If that’s the case, this is excellent news – where Randi has been a major figurehead for decades (possibly even centuries, he seems to always have existed), he needs somebody to help shoulder the weight and take up the slack. With his public persona, showmanship, reputation and expertise, I really think Derren can play that role, should he desire to.

One person who certainly can’t play that role, is Mr Joe Power. For those of you not aware, Joe and the Merseyside Skeptics Society (and myself in particular) have something of a past – in fact, long before the 10:23 Campaign, taking on Joe Power was one of the first pieces of skeptical activism I got involved in. Having criticised his appearance in a local paper, blindly promoting him as ‘The Man Who Sees Dead People’, I decided to meet Joe Power at his Liverpool book signing, and invited him to take the million dollar challenge. What I got wasn’t polite declination, but bizarre insults – with Joe genuinely comparing all skeptics to paedophilesYou can read the whole account here, and I recommend you do, to really get a feel for the kind of man Joe Power is. It was during this conversation that I heard Joe had been investigated for a prominent TV show, and at the time I put two and two together and predicted it was Derren Brown who he was referring to.

I can’t wait to see the show on May 10th.

, , , ,

1. #1 by Andy Wilson on May 1, 2010 - 12:01

Awesome!!

🙂

2. #2 by Patrick Jane on May 1, 2010 - 19:12

Looks good! Hopefully, there’ll be some depth to the programs and not just a superficial whistle-stop tour.

3. #3 by Gary on May 10, 2010 - 23:10

Just watched this program and googled him and you are on of the top websites. He seems to be very unable to deal with scepticism for someopne so sure of his abilities; interestingly the only succesful readings he gave were for his sisters next door neighbour (who he hasnt met apparently) and a women who he predicted what car she drove (after she pulled up to the reading in it). what a shambolic fraud – look at his website if you want to be sick, self indulgence at its finest!

4. #4 by mickyfromthegrave on May 10, 2010 - 23:23

I justed watched this man trying to prove to Deren BrownThat he was able to have contact with the dead, I was open minded but near the end of the programme his psychopathic outbursts frightened me, Christ what on earth would any sensible spirit be doing contacting him.
    His outburst when his cold reading failed was bizarre I thought he was going to hit Deren Brown for corrupting the spirit domain surrounding the poor lady he could not read.
    I do hope the spirits keep talking to him as he will not be able to perform, and as for the Mini episode why get upset if he did not see it, people who lie often get upset when confronted with the truth.
    The man is an outright Charlatan feeding off the bereaved.

5. #5 by Frank Winter on May 10, 2010 - 23:38

Just seen Derren’s show and Joe was crap. Even in a strange world, if you went to a house to do something and your sister lived next door surley you mention it and pop round to say Hi.

Also, why is there a need to visit the loo everytime you do a reading, is it because you are nervous or you are hoping to have a quick shifty of the house look for photos and other things you could use as trigger objects.

In the end Joe make himself look a faker

6. #6 by Fromtheotherside on May 10, 2010 - 23:39

What a great show ,,,,loved it

7. #7 by Ray on May 10, 2010 - 23:56

Just watched the program, and have to agree with the other two comments already made by persons having watched the Derren Brown show. He was fishing for info from the start, and when he got his statements accepted, he was very self promoting, but when he got it wrong, he went to pieces with what amounted to personal insults to Derren. Derren broke down what he saw as possible fakery, into sections, one of which was called ‘The Blame Game’. Duly noted, he certainly blamed everyone but himself for failing, even to the point of stating that the spirits themselves might not want to or be able to talk to him! I can also see why an independent reading was arranged to prove/disprove his abilities, and the woman involved didn’t give a real name beforehand. Obviously, no information could then be gleaned from prior surreptitious research in any way, and when he actually attempted to give his reading, he failed miserably. I also noted, that Derren’s stage by stage breakdown of the technique was there again in that reading, so obviously, a formula that he liked was being used.

I would like to see anyone purporting to be someone having this ability, and wanting money for it, to be compulsorily screened and vetted with a full enhanced police and criminal record bureau background check, to be annually renewed, just as others who work with vulnerable people have to undergo. In fact, I’d be interested to know of his real name and background..

8. #8 by paul mccarthy on May 10, 2010 - 23:58

HA HA HA HA, well done Derren, how he never punched him i will never know. As a Scouser i feel ashamed to be from the same part of the country as this Prick.
    He doesnt see dead people he sees ££££££. What is more annoying than Power is the people who believe the shit that comes from his mouth, or any other pretentious charlatan, victorian parlour games on cocaine, and it isnt a good look.

9. #9 by Betty on May 11, 2010 - 01:04

I saw the show. How depressing. I used to believe in life after death….

10. #10 by Betty on May 11, 2010 - 01:08

I am glad that Derren Brown investigated this.

11. #11 by mickyfromthegrave on May 11, 2010 - 01:31

I am glad that most sensible people saw through this nut case, I to am a scouser and was cringing at the massivly over indulgent ego of this toilet hugging con artist, at least Derren is up front and gets more results with out the assistance of mythical spirits.
    I cannot understand why spirits use sign language are they dumb, and Joe Powers spirits are all numerically challenged.
    and do you know anyone over fifty who has not suffered a sore knee, and most kids of fourteen have fallen of their cycles or their mates cycles.
    That guy is a fake.
    I hope this does not annoy anyone but I once died and left my body, it was a fantastic experience, I was part of everything. all was one spirit or call it what you want,there are no earthly words to describe the experience, I do know this I was not interested in earthbound people.
    Now I cannot vouch for this as out of body experiences have numerous explanations and I except them, it could have been a massive ammount of endorphines released into my brain I do not know , and will never know till I die, but I will most certainly not pontificate about it as being a sure thing as this guy did.
    £££££££££££££££££ as Paul says is what this guy see’s.

12. #12 by Lisa Webber on May 11, 2010 - 07:30

I thought the most revolting part of last nights show was near the end when we were made to see Joe Powers big fat arse crack hanging out of his jeans. No need!!!!!!!!!!

13. #13 by Betty on May 11, 2010 - 09:16

mickyfromthegrave :I am glad that most sensible people saw through this nut case, I to am a scouser and was cringing at the massivly over indulgent ego of this toilet hugging con artist,

Thanks for the laugh!

mickyfromthegrave :

Thank you for sharing this. What a beautiful experience. You have restored my faith in life after death. Thank you. 🙂

14. #14 by Betty on May 11, 2010 - 09:16

Thanks for the laugh!

mickyfromthegrave :

15. #15 by Simon S on May 11, 2010 - 09:50

That was the best show that Derren Brown has done for ages. James ‘The Amazing’ Randi could not have done a better job at exposing Joe Power for the charlatan that he is, and that is high praise indeed.

While watching I suspected that Power’s first reading on the show was a ‘hot reading’ (where the ‘psychic’ or medium does prior research on the subject to get their facts) rather than ‘cold reading’ as it was too accurate and he had no need to fish for clues. To have it revealed at the end of the show that the first subject was his sister’s next door neighbour, was pure gold.

For the first half of the show I wondered if Joe Power was a knowing fraud or simply self deluded. As the show went on, the way he angrily reacted when confornted with questions such as about seeing the Hollyoakes actress in her Mini car in the car park, proved him to be a liar, as angry is the way that liars react when confronted with their lies.

Once again, well done Derren Brown you awesome skeptic.

PS. to mickeyfromthegrave and Betty, neurologists have strong evidence that near death experiences (with all the usually reported realistic feeling of heading down a tunnel towards a bright light) are very common in patients with elevated levels of carbon dioxide in their blood.

16. #16 by Ormyskeptyc on May 11, 2010 - 10:27

I was in school with Joe. I’m not going to reveal his real name for fear of legal repercussions.

My guess – and it is a guess – is that drugs have played a large part in the whole story – it’s rumoured that his brother died of an overdose although Joes’ comments on his website don’t mention this, just that he died under (sic) suspicious circumstances. He mentions elsewhere that the brother was murdered.

A lot of Joes’ comtemporaries are now faith healers and psychics etc. Drug induced psychic delusion? I don’t know.

17. #17 by mickyfromthegrave on May 11, 2010 - 11:30

Thanks Betty for your replies to my comments.
    I do not really know how this works that, I lived on the streets for 30 years on and off, attempted suicide on numerous occasions, spent years in and out of psychiatric hospitals, done more drug and alcohol rehabs than Amy Winehouse could count on her fingers and toes Bless her little cotton socks.
    I am 67 now and finally levelled out.
    when people ask me about my out of body experience, I literally died from an overdose of Methadone Valium and Southern Comfort I can only say it changed my life, I am not afraid of death now.
    I just knew that despite all my sufferings Life must be lived even when times are bad, though not so much of my times are bad now.
    There are many cliches about OBE’s now like “The tunnel of light”, or all deceased friends and relatives in a beautiful garden, and not to forget the lovely old gentleman with a flowing white beard.(GOD?)
    for me it was that I understood for a nano second the whole of creation, and an overwhelming love, a connection to every single atom in our universe and I mean every atom, Neutron electron, all is one and everything made sense.
    This is of course is written in words which in a million years would not explain what my spirit
    which was of course pure energy was experiencing.
    I have taken, LSD, heroin. loads of mind bending drugs and can honestly say THIS WAS DIFFERENT.
    I of course had had a cardiac arrest and whilst the ambulance crew was trying to resuscitate me I or whatever I was had left my earthly body, time and space had ceased to exist, I said it was a nano second it could have been a thousand years, not to experience time and space are awesome.
    I was told that I had to return to my body and that suicidal attempts were wrong, now this again is hard to explain as it was not a voice it was more of a transference of knowledge to my spirit or whatever describes my non being.

18. #18 by Stu on May 11, 2010 - 14:07

Sorry Micky but the research done so far on obe indicates that those most prone to the experience are those who have taken mind altering drugs. As you indicate yourself you do fall quite squarely into that category.

It’s a good thing that a charlatan like Mr Power has been exposed for what he is. The most shocking aspect from last night’s programme from my point of view is that there are so many people who still believe this shite!

If I started a campaign similar to the Atheist Bus one how many people would donate? Answers on a postcard please. People have to be made aware that they are being fleeced even if the piece of shit – sorry psychic – actually believes it themselves.

I’d start small and stick to Merseyside (there seems to be a large target) at first but who knows?

19. #19 by mickyfromthegrave on May 11, 2010 - 15:25

How comes this chap who may never have touched a drug in his life had almost the same experience as I.
    By the way I am intelligent enough to know what tricks the mind can play, in America they put pilots in a centrifugal force machine and spun it at a higher than normal speed and the potential astronauts had experiences similar to OBE’s but not the same as NDE’s.
    You may be right about the drugs Stu, but all I ever got was the Horrors with LSD and even worse with skunk.
    After my experience I gave up on my self destructive life style and followed Buddhism. meditating endlessly but no OBE’s yet. Ha Ha.
    Now Mr powers is inflicting his illusions on vulnerable people for monetary gain, my illusions are 50/50 they may be authentic but we will never know till we die, if they were illusions who cares.
    I just love to feel that it was real.

20. #20 by mickyfromthegrave on May 11, 2010 - 15:27

I missed out the beginning of my last Comment.
    Stu the research is still on going, one of many is in St Thomas’s in London which is secretly doing research, by the way I got it wrong it is called NDE a Near Death Experience, I just googled it and read loads of different essays on it, here is one and notice how similar it is to mine…….

My first question was, “who will I be with when I’m dead?” The answer was shocking to me. The answer was that “we” are one and that all the people I am thinking about are really projections of me and that I will miss no one because I am all. Also, it showed me that when I “die” the grieving period for my family will be very, very short because time is not what it seems. To them it will last a long time, but in the grand scheme of things it’s no time at all. I went to ask my next question, when all of the sudden I was FLOODED with knowledge. I knew EVERYTHING. Then my vision became 360 degrees and I was glowing white light. I was in the middle of a swirling vortex that had colours that I have never seen before. I felt myself fading into that vortex and there are NO words to describe the feeling. It was like bliss x 100,000,000. It was amazing.

I just love to feel that it was real.

21. #21 by Stu on May 11, 2010 - 16:22

This is a good answer Micky. I’ve never had a trip myself but would imagine most experiences of the same drug are similar? That chap sounds like he’s tripping to me.

However, if you gain comfort from your experiences then that’s got to be good. Escape from a destructive lifestyle has to be applauded whatever the catalyst.

Most beliefs of this sort can’t be proved until death though. This is why we have so many religious people about.

By the way would you be willing to donate to a campaign to raise awareness of charlatan psychics?

22. #22 by Stu on May 11, 2010 - 17:00

D’yer know, on re-reading that chaps statement it sounds like the directors instructions to Christopher Lambert for the scene after the last fight in Highlander.

23. #23 by mickyfromthegrave on May 11, 2010 - 17:58

I could not help noticing a small crater in Joe Powers temple, could this have been an earlier attempt to open up the third EYE.
    I know that there was a spate of people in the 60’s taking Black & Deckers to their temples and drilling holes so as to gain access to the EYE of knoledge and even astral communications.
    The great Houdini said if there is a way back from the dead I will find it, do you think he might contact Joe.

I Have not seen Highlander, But I think Christopher Lambert is a really underrated actor.
    His mad crazy inventor scenes in Back To The Future was Brilliant, He once played a psychiatric patient in a film and having myself been in lots of psychiatric hospitals I was amazed at how accurate his portrayal was. I think he started off in TAXI.

24. #24 by Ormyskeptyc on May 11, 2010 - 18:46

Joe was involved in an accident some years ago. That’s where the forehead crater comes from. Some people say he claimed to be psychic after coming round, although he also claims in his website that he has been ‘sensitive’ since he was a few months old.

25. #25 by Stu on May 11, 2010 - 18:49

Micky,

You’re thinking of Christopher Lloyd. Christopher Lambert is french and couldn’t do a highland accent for toffee.

26. #26 by Betty on May 11, 2010 - 20:03

I love Christopher Lloyd. 🙂

27. #27 by mickyfromthegrave on May 11, 2010 - 20:08

Hi Stu I am laughing my head off here GOD i got it wrong, I will after Google Lambert to find out who he is.
    Ormyskeptyc: I feel rotten now I did not know the poor man had had an Accident.
    The wording Sensitive in the pool can mean other things Alas to say.
    Your comment…A lot of Joes’ comtemporaries are now faith healers and psychics etc…… makes sense after all there is honesty amongst thieves and they are known to stick together.
    I am glad you refrained from using his real name because I personally think he would not be a nice person to offend.
    I could read him like a book and I am not psychic just a student of life and cold readings.
    I did notice a crack in his demeanour.
    My best mate A scouser was murdered on the I.O.W I do hope it was not Joes brother.

28. #28 by mickyfromthegrave on May 11, 2010 - 20:38

Though born in Great Neck, Long Island, Christopher Lambert’s family left For Geneva when he was two. his dad was working for the UN, He did boarding Schools in France.
    NIT PICKING BUGGER I AM, Sorry.
    I liked him as the Greystoke Tarzan film.

Glad you comfirmed your love of Chris LLoyd Betty.
    He was in THE DREAM TEAM and ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO’S NEST both about Mental patients, He was also one of the best Scrooges in A Chrismas Carol I have seen.

29. #29 by mickyfromthegrave on May 11, 2010 - 20:51

PS to anyone reading these rambling comments by me, I would like to point out that I am 67 years old and new to this blogging stuff, I do not really know the parameters, I just had to make my feelings known about what I saw as a complete fraudulent schemer,Namely JOE POWERS now exposed for what he is by Derren Brown. GOOD ON YOU DERREN I look forward to next weeks episode.

30. #30 by Betty on May 11, 2010 - 22:53

Hey Micky! (That’s a quote from a song by the way.) Don’t worry about your ramblings. They make very interesting reading. I’m almost 47 myself, so you’re in good company. (We old foggies should show solidarity. ;))

31. #31 by Stu on May 12, 2010 - 01:20

Hey Micky! I think your in there mate!

32. #33 by John on May 12, 2010 - 23:52

Are you sure that you are dead?

33. #34 by Angela on May 13, 2010 - 03:08

John :Micky, I hate to get technical here, but you keep stating that you died. Are you sure about this? One of the main features of death is that it’s hard to type afterwards, or do anything at all really.
    Are you sure that you are dead?

It is possible to die and then be resuscitated. IE your eyes roll back and your mouth falls open. This happens when your heart stops. When the brain is deprived of oxygen you lose consciousness. To most people this is considered to be death.

34. #35 by mickyfromthegrave on May 14, 2010 - 00:11

Hi John I tried to reply but my comments were turned down as being a bit spammy.
    What words trigger off spam filtering.

35. #36 by Becks on May 15, 2010 - 06:17

Joe Power spent two years in jail for credit card fraud. What is wrong with the public believing this charlatan?

36. #37 by mickyfromthegrave on May 22, 2010 - 20:48

I woke up the next day in a Hospital bed.
    I signed myself out and went back to the squat found my Beautiful Gorgeous little brown bottle of Valium and chewed about 3 of them there was a little Southern Comfort left and I downed it as for the Methadone the bottle was empty.
    Three days later I checked into a Drug and Alcohol Rehab centre and was admitted, I was there for 6 months on what was a 6 weeks course I was so fucked up, but they were so patient with me they saved my life.
    I will never recover from the damage to my brain my 30 years usage and abuse of Benzodiazepines, but things are getting better.
    I have even learned to type in my DEAD STATE Ha Ha.
    Clinically dead I do not know, All I know is that feeling that is really impossible to put into mortal words still pervades (imbue with a spirit) my mind today and all this happened in 1992.

37. #38 by mickyfromthegrave on May 22, 2010 - 20:49

PART TWO>>What made me get out off that squat with such effort, I did not know that I was dying, and how did I get to a pub that nurses frequented, and what luck an ambulance station was practically next door.
    I do not want to be so crass as to say someone is watching over me, but It does make one think.
    I do think that with the research going on we will know in about ten years if there is an entity that detaches from the body at the time of or near death.
    Wish full thinking maybe it is, but what happened to me was a spiritual experience and I benefited from it.

38. #39 by mickyfromthegrave on May 22, 2010 - 20:53

I will start again in the begginning……..
    John, I only know about what happened from other people who observed me, I had left my body.
    I was at the time squatting in a filthy derelict flat close to Waterloo Station That night at around 6.30 PM I was sitting on a mattress on the floor with my back against the wall I had a bottle of Methadone, half of a bottle of Southern Comfort and about 50 10 mg Valium
    (Diazepam) tablets.

39. #40 by mickyfromthegrave on May 22, 2010 - 20:54

I was living in a day to day state of fear I had over 25 years become totally addicted to the Valium. I chewed 4 of the tablets and then took a swig of the southern Comfort to make them act faster, then I started drinking from a bottle of Methadone it tasted very sweet and I was going into a fog I went back to the Southern Comfort and may have dropped a few more Valium.
    Then I felt very Cold it was November but I felt strangely cold and knew something was very wrong, It was dark (Leccy Cut Off) I crawled to the entrance door of the flat as I could not stand up I knew I had to get out of that flat,

40. #41 by mickyfromthegrave on May 22, 2010 - 20:54

at the door I struggled to reach the door knob I managed it and was onto the balcony walkway.
    I managed to get downstairs into a car park, and everything was weird like in a dream. The next thing I remember is being at the entrance to a Pub off Waterloo Cut I opened the door and mouthed the words WATER.
    It is then that I left my body.

41. #42 by mickyfromthegrave on May 22, 2010 - 20:55

I talked to the landlord 3 days later and he said that I just collapsed into a heap onto the floor, he said you was dead mate dead as a doornail, some off duty nurses from nearby St Thomas’s hospital tried to revive you but to no avail.
    Fortunately for me I had got to a pub a few hundred yards from the local Ambulance station.
    They had arrived quickly and used the defibrillation machine on me.

42. #43 by mickyfromthegrave on May 22, 2010 - 20:55

I woke up the next day in a Hospital bed.

43. #44 by mickyfromthegrave on May 22, 2010 - 20:56

44. #45 by mickyfromthegrave on May 22, 2010 - 20:56

I have even learned to type in my DEAD STATE Ha Ha.

45. #46 by mickyfromthegrave on May 22, 2010 - 20:57

HERE ENDETH THE LESSON.

46. #47 by Mike A on May 29, 2010 - 21:00

Joe Power was pathetic. He sulked all the way through Derren’s programme, before huffing off at the end. Grade A clown and charlatan. There should be laws preventing tools like Power from exploiting feeble-minded bingo ladies.

47. #48 by Mike A on May 29, 2010 - 21:01

By the way, it’s sceptic with a “c”. Spelling it with a “k” is the American method.

48. #49 by Mike A on May 29, 2010 - 21:26

Frank Winter :
    In the end Joe make himself look a faker

We noticed the visits to the toilet, too. Excellent suggestion: I think that’s exactly what he was doing.

49. #50 by Mike A on May 29, 2010 - 21:58

Stu :
    Micky,

Nevertheless, Lambert was in Highlander. I verified that fact in about the same amount of time it would have taken you to a) type your incorrect comment, or b) look on Google yourself.