Question of The Week: What Woo Would You Go Along With To Get Your Dream Job?

We all need to work. Without work we run out of money and end up living on beans in a stolen wheelie bin. That’s obviously not a good route. Wheelie bins are uncomfortable.

So, in order to avoid a future of bins and beans, we work. We quite happily jump through hoops we wouldn’t normally bother with in order to get work, especially if it’s a dream job that we really want. This is understandable. But how far would you go? At what point would you draw the line? What if your prospective employer wanted you to – gulp – submit to some woo?

The Question of The Week is this: What woo would you go along with to get your dream job?

Maybe your interviewer wants you to do a personality test that involves astrology? Maybe they want you to take that dubious lie-detector, the polygraph (it happens)? Maybe your dream job involves working with homeopaths or mediums on a daily basis? How much could you go along with to get that job? Can you put your skepticism to one side if you need to?

Let us know in the comments field below…

1. #1 by Steve Payne on July 2, 2010 - 09:51

My dream job would be to teach critical thinking and I can’t imagine why any organization would offer woo and teach critical thinking at the same time. So I should be OK.

2. #2 by John on July 2, 2010 - 10:12

Well this goes to the customer is always right…

If we sell our services to the employer for a wage then they are the customer. You can refuse the job but you lose the wage.

Bottom line – if you want the job you take the crap.

3. #3 by mal on July 2, 2010 - 11:11

I was once apprenticed to a guy who was a raving loony creationist.

Never, never, ever again, I think he saw me as a young easy target for conversion.

No job, dream or otherwise, is worth being battered with nonsense and logical fallacies every day.

4. #4 by Gittins on July 2, 2010 - 12:20

As a software developer I probably wouldn’t be prepared to work on an application I was ashamed of. An e-commerce system for a company that sold bomb detector dowsing rods would be hard to swallow. But I also would never work on malware or spammy applications for similar reasons.

However I might change my mind if I was offered two or three times my current salary.

5. #5 by Mike on July 2, 2010 - 17:27

Would using such dubious methods to pick employees not be illegal? Not sure.

Anyway, there is the assumption that the prospective employer is expecting you to go along with it. Maybe they’re testing your critical thinking skills and want you to disagree. Anyway there’s woo and there’s woo, if a prospective employer told me a condition of employment would be not to bring a pinecone into the office because they give off bad karma, I wouldn’t mind too much.

6. #6 by Michael Gray on July 3, 2010 - 02:42

A Raelian Orgy.
    They could give me a hand for the job.

7. #7 by Michael on July 3, 2010 - 19:26

Ha.I have been in that situation. I was working for a finance company, selling pensions and mortgages. My manager was a nice bloke but was a true believer in all sorts of woo. He didn’t believe in coincidence, for example, and always wore a crucifix. He wanted me to believe in the crap he did to ‘help my career’?????? WTF! I left on that Friday and never contacted them again. So it can be quite alarming that one could be put in an uncomfortable situation where you would resign your position due to woo elements not connected to the job at hand.

8. #8 by Nickd on July 3, 2010 - 21:37

I suppose it comes down to the difference between having to work with woo infected people and actually having to peddle said woo as part of the job. Most woo minded nutjobs I’ve worked with could keep their beliefs to themselves and remain otherwise perfectly nice people. But like Gittens mentions above, if you’re selling dowsing rods or crystal healing machines that’s something else altogether..