Snake Oil Or Solution? An Interview With Jim Humble

Proper snake oil salesmen are a dying breed. Time was, travelling grifters with lotions and tonics to cure what ails you were as commonplace as deaths from diseases they claimed to cure. Depictions in pop culture of Victorian-era or Wild-Western vendors of elixirs and tinctures with exotic and wonderous names – and even more glorious claims – are now ubiquitous to the point of cliché. They even show their face in the Cher song ‘Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves‘ (interestingly enough, in combination with evangelicism: ‘Papa would do whatever he could / Preach a little gospel, sell a couple bottles of Doctor Good’ – more of which later).

However, you might say they don’t make them like they used to – while bullshit inevitably still bobs to the surface and the desperate and willing are still taken for their money by sham products, the claims have tended towards a more reserved, vague, wishy-washy and intangible nature. No longer will a smiling charlatan claim to cure you, instead they’ll ‘boost your immune system’ or ‘increase your energy’ or something equally weasel-worded, to avoid making solid and testable claims, and mitigate the potential for angry customers – after all, while the hucksters of yore could back up their medicine cabinet and hop on the first stage coach out of town before their victims smelt a rat, in today’s world it’s far harder to disappear without a trace, and far more lucrative not to have to. Quackery got marketing savvy, you might say. As such, snake oil – with it’s extravagant names and bold claims – has fallen to the wayside.

Or so I thought. However, I was given cause to reassess this line of rationale – if not nostalgia for a time when pseudoscience was so potentially transparent – when I first encountered Jim Humble, and his Miracle Mineral Solution. With a name most Wild-Western-novelists would shun for being somewhat lazily ironic, and a product whose miraculous monicker is matched only by it’s catalogue of cures, it seemed to me like we had a genuine snake oil salesman on our hands. Initial reports of MMS and Jim’s activities did nothing to dissuade me – while we’re now well-acquainted with the experiences of Rhys Morgan when highlighting the dangers of the solution in ‘treating’ Crohn’s disease, it was reports from Martin Robbins (not least in the Guardian) and the blogger Noodlemaz which most solidified my preconception of our Humble salesman.

It’s also what convinced me I had to try and get an interview with him.

For readers who don’t know, and I can perfectly understand that there may be plenty, I co-host the Righteous Indignation podcast. On the show, we’ve often had guests who are themselves proponents of a belief traditionally considered pseudoscientific, and we give them the space and open forum to put across their case, which we debate in polite but often firm tones. It was this offer I emailed to Jim – a friendly-yet-firm forum, and the chance to put forward the case for MMS. I must admit, I submitted the interview request half in jest, so it was an enormous surprise to me when he agreed to speak to us.

Up until this point, my knowledge of Jim was reasonably superficial, so I set about getting to know more about him and my research turned up nothing to disavow me of the belief that Jim may well be a knowing conman. Aside from having claimed to treat hundreds of thousands, with notable claims to cure cancer in a matter of weeks, reverse and eradicate AIDS in hours, and to protect from malaria so efficiently as to render mosquito nets and repellent useless.

Other areas of Jim’s beliefs stood out to me just as much – like the clichéd conman in Cher’s song, Jim too was not averse to ‘preaching a little Gospel’: earlier this year, Jim set up the Genesis II church, with himself as head. Explaining the church in April, Jim was clear as to the purpose:

“Another purpose of this church is to protect our members from vaccinations and other governmental oppression such as forced insurance.”

Using the Church to primarily train practitioners and administers of MMS, Jim clarified the value of this new religion:

“Completed Students (Ministers of Health) can add MH to the end of their names and if they join the Church they can also put Rev in front of their names. The two additions to your name may not mean much now, but someday it will command a great deal of respect… If you become a member you will have the protection of a world wide church. Governments will be a great deal less prone to bother you as a Minister of Health. When you finish our MMS course (one week of intense training) you can legally call yourself a Reverend and use Rev. in front of your name.  I guarantee that within a couple of years Ministers of Health from our Church will be the most respected ministers in the world.”

Not content with implications that his church exists primarily to side-step tricky governmental interference, Jim explains a second role of the establishment:

“The next important thing we will do is to immediately start a protection fund in the church foundation in such a way that no agency can get to it. That has already been done. For the time being until we can get a better setup, the money will come in from sales, or from healing people, or just donations into my PayPal account and I will deposit it where no one knows and where it is and it will be divided out among a number of banks across the world where there is no way to trace it. This protection fund is meant for one purpose, to stand between our church members and those who would suppress them. This fund is to hire super lawyers, and marchers when needed, other experts to bring suits against those who would suppress our members. This fund will be use to bring suits and class action suits against anyone who is doing things that might impact the health of the people of earth in a negative manner or anyone who is interfering with our pastors.”

In what is a surprising move, Jim makes his reasoning for starting the Genesis II church even more transparent:

“Consider the power of the Catholic Church. They haven’t given their power up. They pay no taxes. Their priests have been molesting women and children for hundreds of years and the governments have never been able to stop it. That’s raw power! Don’t you agree?” (a claim Jim repeated in his monthly newsletter in April)

From my research before speaking to Jim, nothing had served to shake my preconceived view of Humble the snake oil salesman – I went into the interview prepared to dual with a slick, catchphrase-spouting snake-oil salesman with a polished and perfected sales pitch and a razor-sharp defence.

In reality, I couldn’t have been more wrong.

From his first few words to me, it was clear that Jim was a frail-sounding, almost sweet and slightly confused old man. Alternatively struggling for breath to speak and struggling to explain himself, pretty much everything Jim says in the interview – and I won’t spoil too much of it because I think it’s worth listening to Jim in full for this very reason – is either misleading, muddled or just plain wrong. Jim’s explanation of treating burns with MMS was a case in point – while, I’m no expert on burn injuries, it strikes me as beyond unlikely that the majority of the pain encountered is caused primarily by acid leaking from the wound (rather than the wound itself, the exposed flesh, and the involvement of nerves in the burn). It seems more unlikely still that the Sodium Chlorite of MMS would neutralise this acid completely, removing all pain, in just two applications over a 10 minute window. When I pointed out the edges of these doubts in the interview, Jim’s response was to suggest that there are things we’re not told about burn injuries – presumably a nod to a conspiracy, but a conspiracy I couldn’t begin to see the motivation behind.

What’s more, statements (some not included in this section of the interview) Jim makes about antiretrovirals, malaria prophylaxis, aspirin, the pharmaceutical industry, the FDA and other public health issues are downright dangerous. He spoke of diarrhoea – one of the common side-effects of extended use of MMS, and yet one of the biggest killers of children according to the World Health Organisation – as something MMS can be used to cure, claiming a 100% success rate, even in areas of the world where infant diarrhoea is a severe problem. Further, Jim told me he was able to cure HIV in just 3 weeks of hourly MMS use, and he’d personally treated around 800 people in Malawi alone. Follow-up sessions to ensure ongoing health of those treated were, of course, too expensive for Jim to maintain.

As amiable and friendly as Jim seemed to me, at a personal level, I couldn’t shake the feeling that if even a fraction of Jim’s numbers were correct, he could be responsible for a lot of suffering, and potentially a lot of deaths.

However, in speaking to Jim, I got the impression that he genuinely believes in what he sells. His tone throughout the interview isn’t the angry, offended, self-righteous voice of the knowing swindler (like, for example, Glenn Beck). Instead it was the frustration of the overlooked, the genuine inability to understand why his help was being thwarted and his cures ignored. In short, he’s wrong, but doesn’t know it.

Once the interview was finished, I sent the tape to Martin Robbins, and he was genuinely shocked by the way Jim came across – to his surprise, this nemesis figure, this dangerous quack spoke not with a bang, but with a whimper. Martin’s reaction, and my own confused feelings towards Jim, made me wonder – how often do we leap to the conclusion that someone is knowingly fraudulent, a genuine huckster, when in fact it’s perfectly possible that they’re utterly misguided and wrong, but honestly and well-meaningly so?  When the figures of the potentially-harmed – not to mention the possibly-killed – could be so incredibly high, we tend to first assume that the man in the middle is a criminal mastermind or emotionless fraud. In a way, I think I almost would have preferred Jim to have been slick, unscrupulous, and hateful. It’s so much more comfortable when the bad things are being done by bad people. For one thing, it stops us having to ask the uneasy question – does intent REALLY matter? If Humble’s MMS has led to the premature deaths of 100 cancer patients, 1000 malaria sufferers, or even 10,000 AIDS victims, does the benevolence of his motivation change anything?

I’d argue it does – but the change is within us: if Humble was out simply to make money, we’d feel much more comfortable with painting him as the hate figure. Bad things by bad people. As it is, I’m merely left a little saddened.

, , , ,

1. #1 by Amber K on October 6, 2010 - 00:26

You wrote exactly what I was thinking. I don’t think his man truly wants to hurt anyone – however I don’t think he’ll ever be able to believe that he has, no matter what the evidence is. He believes in what he is selling, which makes him even more dangerous than a slick huckster. A huckster will cut his losses and move on. Jim Humble will continue to promote MMS until the day he dies and once he’s gone his acolytes will continue in his name.

We may be witnessing the birthing of a new Scientology.

2. #2 by Hayley on October 6, 2010 - 04:41

I agree with everything you have written. While the interview was happening it was frustrating to hear everything he was saying that was genuinely wrong, but, unlike in other interviews where I have found myself getting really wound up to the point that I have to mute my microphone, that didn’t happen with this one.

Also, once the interview went out I saw a few people mocking a mistake Jim made where he said MMS had been sold on the internet for 80 years rather than just ‘has been sold for 80 years’ and it annoyed me and I instinctively jumped to his defence.

Not because he is old and I felt sorry for him, not because this should guarentee his protection from the wrath of the ills he has comitted, but because he genuinely seems to believe he is helping people, and mocking him and pinning him up as some Dick Dastardly like character who is rubbing his hands in glee as his evil plan works is wrong.

3. #3 by Ross K on October 6, 2010 - 05:11

Great writeup Marsh. I also agree with everything you said. Having followed the story I was really surprised you managed to get an interview, and had similar expectations about how he would come across. It was both fascinating and sad to hear his muddled and confused justifications for what he is doing, and to that he does seem to honestly believe that it is right.
    It’s true that an evil charlatan would be easier to stomach.

4. #4 by Adam on October 6, 2010 - 09:02

I’m not sure I agree with your assessment of Humble.

On one level, you’re probably right: it did sound like he genuinely believes that the product is useful. However, it doesn’t stop there. He simply cannot have failed to be aware of the importance of publishing results in peer-reviewed journals. Maybe he was unaware of that when he started, but there is no way he can still be.

So why has he not done so? He claims he can’t afford to do proper clinical trials. He may well be right about that, as they are very expensive (although it would be fascinating to find out about his finances). But there is really no plausible excuse why he couldn’t write something up for publication, even if it is just a small clinical trial or even just a small case series. I can’t think of any reason why he hasn’t done this unless it be a deliberate decision not to.

I don’t know his motivation for that. But one possible explanation is that his marketing strategy is aimed exactly at those who reject conventional science, seeing it all as a conspiracy theory controlled by Big Pharma (and god knows who else). Perhaps he has judged that being published in mainstream science literature would actually weaken his credibility among his target market.

What do you think? Am I being too cynical?

5. #5 by Ellie on October 6, 2010 - 09:10

Somehow this makes the response from the Chrone’s forum to Rhys attempting to point out the risks double frustrating. If they’d been taken in my a slick con-man they’d have an excuse, but they seem to be willingly following a frail and confused old man.

It would be easy to transfer my anger at Humble onto them for their stupidity, but that would be to miss the bigger point I think. I’ll settle for shaking my fist at the screen in an impotent gesture of annoyance instead :/

6. #6 by Marianne on October 6, 2010 - 10:00

Honestly I think it’s part of the charade.

We don’t even know for sure that he did personally come up with this marketing scheme all by himself.

As I’ve said to Rhys before; the numbers he quotes are consistent and conveniently round. The arguments are always the same, practically word-for-word (e.g. ‘blowing holes in the sides of pathogens’).

If anyone watched the hour-long video interview with him that I linked to in my first ‘bleachgate’ post, full transcriptions of which can also be found elsewhere (as someone commented on my post) – he is similar to this interview there. Relaxed, maybe not so ill-sounding (I’m not sure how long ago it was, off the top of my head) but then he was being interviewed by a guy who wanted only to praise his work and agree with him.

For all we know this is a man who has been made a figurehead of a far-reaching business plan, his own personal involvement and idea contribution unknown.

Yep, that’s supremely cynical, but I find it odd that a gold prospector (if we’re to believe that as well) moved into health supplements so successfully and now has his own church and everything. It seems like we’re missing something.

Speculation almost entirely.

I don’t really think, if he truly believes in this and isn’t all that bad a person after all, it makes a difference.

In the US there are different degrees of murder; here we simply have murder and manslaughter, but both have the same result.
    If it could be proven that he had and has no idea what he’s really doing, that’s a matter for the courts – but let’s not forget that Humble is not alone.

He may be the cuddly, frail old man face of the organisation but he’s got his minions; the D Bergys and co. who are out there loudly proselytising to lots of vulnerable people.

I don’t think that Humble being somewhat more likeable than we’re comfortable with changes much at all. If anything, to me, it makes it seem all the more fishy.

7. #7 by Paul on October 6, 2010 - 10:39

The critical tone is getting more strident with each new comment. I’m not about to buck that trend.

“Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.”

Many people have heard of this saying but the cautionary note at the end is often omitted:

“But don’t rule out malice.”

He may come across as a sweet old gent but the most effective murderers come with smiles. If he’s that ignorant–wilfully or self-delusionally–about medicine, pharmacology, physiology, etc he shouldn’t be going anywhere near sick people. Not by any moral yardstick could he assume the right to.

He wants arresting as soon as charges can be brought.

8. #8 by Johan Strandberg on October 6, 2010 - 10:43

I think it is too early to declare Jim Humble an innocent old man. I do completely agree with Marsh and Hayley that he came across that way in the interview.

At the same time, the actions he described (creating an umbrella church for legal and ‘moral’ protection, focusing on countries without meaningful regulation, pushing something dangerous as a cure-all against all warnings, etc.) are possibly those of a very sophisticated and evil man.

His tone was so disarming that I found myself almost wishing that there was some truth in what he said, as at the same time a voice in the back of my head kept screaming “Can’t you see that he is using just the right language, posture, and tone to bypass your defenses! This is by purpose! He knows what he is doing! Watch out!”

Some people are ‘gifted’ in the art of deception. Something in Jim Humble sets of warning bells in me, but they are as often wrong as they are right, so that doesn’t prove anything.

While I have no doubt that MMS itself must be stopped before it does more harm, I can’t make up my mind which way to view Mr Humble. Is he the innocent but misguided old man in the interview, or the coldly calculating charlatan that his actions point to?

So, until I have further information, I declare that I don’t know and that I will keep an open mind when it comes to Jim Humble himself.

PS BTW, that’s an amazingly well done interview! Congratulations.

PPS Was Jim born with the name “Humble”, or was it acquired later in life? (Like Joe “Power”?) Just curious.

9. #9 by Johan Strandberg on October 6, 2010 - 10:51

As I think more and more about this, I wonder what his true “back story” is?

What do we know of him that isn’t just based on his own statements or quotes from those oh-so-slick websites of his?

I wish I was better at researching such things as I suspect it would shed light on his nature, be it positive or negative.

10. #10 by Marianne on October 6, 2010 - 12:55

@Johan I’ve spent quite a while looking around and as I said, all the numbers, anecdotes, history etc. seems to be from a single original source – Humble or otherwise – repeated parrot-fashion pretty much everywhere you look.

I’m sure many more people are on it now and hopefully by a collective effort something will come up; but if our hunches are indeed correct and he is more firmly in the ‘evil genius’ camp than the ‘blissfully ignorant’ one, I suspect we’ll not get far.

11. #11 by Amber K on October 6, 2010 - 14:48

In response to those who are of the belief that Jim Humble is an “evil genius” – you may be right, but consider this. There are millions of people out there who believe in a god for which there is no evidence, with every fiber of their being. The vast majority of those people also belong to and defend a church/sect that has in one time or another, injured, impoverished or outright murdered people in its name and they have no qualms about it. This is the strength of “belief.”

I think if Jim Humble were simply an evil genius he wouldn’t have gotten nearly as far as he has. I think he truly believes he has a cure and that he truly believes he is being persecuted. He is delusional. It’s quite possible that he is aware of the marketing tricks he’s using and the fact that coming up with a church will “protect” him but considers that to be his only weapon against the big evil pharmaceutical companies and their toadies at the FDA. There are plenty of people out there that are convinced that Big Pharma and the FDA are evil organizations bent on keeping us sick – it’s not a stretch to think he believes that too.

I don’t know either way and I guess we’ll have more info when we hear the second half, but I think the fact that he admitted his “church” comments were a mistake rather than having a prepared argument for them is telling.

12. #12 by Johan Strandberg on October 6, 2010 - 17:23

Marianne, I’m not sure if any “evil genius skilz” would make it less likely to uncover any past discrepancies in Jim’s story. I think that uniformity in the telling has more to do with where he has supposedly lived recently — that is, outside of the “developed” world. (Again, my assumption of his recent locations is based on his own statements.)

This is what I meant when I said that I did not know how to research this. I do not have the training required to do such a real-world search.

I still maintain neutrality as to Jim Humble’s personal motives, but it is very clear that whomever put together his websites did so with considerable expertise in being slippery.

For example, the website jimhumble.biz with the title page “Jim Humble’s Personal Writings and Methods of using the MMS Miracle Mineral Solution.” and that is linked to from http://www.mmsanswers.com‘s “Important Links” page with the following message:

“I maintain my own site at http://www.jimhumble.biz where I post articles,
    new MMS data, and things that I consider important if you are using
    MMS or are going to use it. […]”

So — as is almost everything on the MMS web pages — is written in (but possibly not by) Jim’s personal voice.

The pages at jimhumble.biz has a lot of “protocols”, like this one on how to test for cancer:

“Here is something your doctor will probably never tell you.
    There has been a medical test for cancer that is 99% effective
    for more than 25 years. It is more effective, less dangerous,
    and cheaper than all other medical cancer tests. It’s called
    the AMAS cancer test.

“You don’t have to go to a doctor; the test is available on the
    Internet. The cost is $165. The kit is free, you take a smear of
    your own blood, send it in and pay when the results are ready.
    The test is for specific cancer antibodies that will be present. […]”

That is just a random sample of the kind of “advice” that can be found on this site.

But… if this was written by somebody completely delusional who just didn’t know better, then I would not expect to find this finely crafted disclaimer at the bottom of the page:

“This page provides information about MMS (Miracle Mineral
    Supplement) which is a well known salt in solution. The
    information is not a substitute for licensed professionals who
    can diagnose, treat, and give medical advice. This page informs
    people about an option that non-professional people sometimes
    use as experimental researchers. These MMS web sites describe
    one well-known salt in solution for limited internal and external
    use. The wide use of chlorine dioxide and its descriptions do not
    represent the practice of medicine. These pages assume no
    responsibility for how people use or understand these descriptive
    materials. No products are sold or shipped from this web site.
    No money is collected or billed”

To me, this is written to get around liability. Not to prove the goodness of religious convictions. Even the act of splitting the contents across a series of websites appears to done to make it easier to avoid having “protocols” for treatments right next to places where they snake oil is actually sold.

Let me just add one final little perl I just found at http://www.mmsanswers.com/?cat=164

Question:
    I am trying MMS on a child of 1 Year 10 months who has Cancer
    in her eyes (Retinoblastoma). I started giving her two drops, with
    lemon juice and the three minutes wait. I recently increased to
    three drops. Then I notice that her eyes heat up very much.
    Should I continue using it?

OK, so somebody is treating a very young child by dropping MMS and lemon juice into the eyes until they “heat up very much”. Let me repeat that:

…BY DROPPING MMS AND LEMON JUICE INTO THE EYES UNTIL THEY “HEAT UP VERY MUCH”.

So, what does the nice people at MMSAnswers.com give as advice? How about “STOP!”? No. Instead, this is what they wrote:

Answer:
    That is a good indicator, but back off to fewer drops to where
    it doesn’t hurt. Heating up is just a Herxheimer reaction which
    means a result of a die off so reduce the number of drops until
    that isn’t happening. Visit http://www.miraclemineral.org for the MMS
    book and DVD or http://www.jimhumble.com for more info.Key words:
    eye cancer, retinoblastoma, Herxheimer reaction, drops

Oh. I see. Don’t stop. Instead, go and buy more of our stuff quickly before the kid dies, because once the kid is dead you probably won’t be as motivated to buy our stuff.

I’m going to take a break now. This made me quite nauseous.

13. #13 by Artgasm on October 6, 2010 - 17:49

Would not big name producers of sodium chlorite, like DuPont, jump on the medical product bandwagon if there were any real world medicinal benefits of the MMS product?

A common bleaching product suddenly becomes a pharmaceutical…and more bucks per bottle I would care to wager.

As for Jim, well what can I say. It wouldn’t be the first time one’s defences were lowered for a genial, senior chap. We really need a lot more background on the gentleman, he could be the ‘nice’ face of an evil empire, a kook, a confused old man or a guy who genuinely believes in what he is ‘selling’.

I was troubled by his church protection scheme, at what cost is the ordination? Is it another quick buck scheme?

Cynical me sees the whole church thing as a clever ploy to put an ‘official’ stamp on the snake oil, they can’t claim to be doctors after a weeks course so I would guess a priest is the next best thing? Hell that bit is easy, I am a minister of the Life church and it cost me nothing lol

No I will keep my doses of chlorine to the swimming pool…hmm maybe I should start drinking the stuff? haha

14. #14 by Michael Gray on October 7, 2010 - 07:52

Naive faith when combined with deadly quackery is MORE harmful than hucksterism.
    Frauds can be jailed.
    The ignorant mentally-ill can not.

15. #15 by Trystan on October 7, 2010 - 08:23

Fantastic post Johan. It mirrors my personal sentiments.

16. #16 by Jo on October 8, 2010 - 09:06

Johan your post re the small child also made me feel sick, and also very upset.

I don’t care how this man comes across, if he is responsible for people (particularly innocent children with no say in the matter) being harmed, no doubt painfully, and/or ultimately killed by following his advice and ignoring legitimate medical expertise then he is an extremely dangerous, wicked person and it sickens me that he is allowed to perpetuate his twisted beliefs.

I’m sorry but I can’t feel anything but revulsion when it comes to Jim Humble.

17. #17 by Stu on October 8, 2010 - 11:37

I have to agree with Jo. In the course of my work I have come across psychics/spiritual healers who “work” for free.

We all know that these people are responsible for a lot of suffering whatever their intentions or personality so even though they don’t take any money from the people they “cure” we shouldn’t have any sympathy for them. Ever!

18. #18 by Rhys on October 9, 2010 - 01:26

I’m not entirely convinced.
    Yes, he comes across as frail in the interview, but I still think the overall weight of evidence demonstrates that he IS in it for the money. Why else would he accept 10% from various MMS peddlers? What has he done with the money from the books other than fly around the world giving people MMS telling them it’ll cure them of malaria, AIDS, cancer etc. and making websites preying on the vulnerable in better off countries telling them the same.
    His dangerous advice to people, telling them to take MMS intravenously to cure them of AIDS, telling the girl’s mother to keep dripping it into the little girl’s eye, telling people to NEVER stop taking MMS. Even if he is just deluded, I’m sorry but I cannot in any way feel sorry for him. He is dangerously deluded. His panacea hurts people, potentially killing them.

19. #19 by Amber K on October 9, 2010 - 06:29

@Rhys, I agree. He is dangerously deluded and I think more so for the fact that he believes what he is doing. I think that was Marsh’s point though I don’t want to put words in his mouth. The thing that has been making my head ache for the last week is how do you combat this? You can easily say someone is in something for the money, they’re evil, greedy, blah blah blah and people will respond to that. Look how well that argument has worked against big pharma, government and all of us skeptics that are in their employ? (I stack the checks under my pillow until they’re an inch high before I bother to go to the bank.)

How do you fight good intentions that are harmful? How do you not be a “dick” in opposition to these amiable, likable people who sleep well at night because they are (in Marsh’s words) quacks and they don’t know it? I know there’s an answer out there but I don’t know what it is and meanwhile people are dying. And I can’t sleep at night.

20. #20 by Dan on October 10, 2010 - 12:44

One thing I was taught during Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
    classes was that if you are not certified in CPR …you can be sued, good intentions aside…whether you saved the persons life or not.

This case, as many cases you present of uncertifiable practitioners, is similar in that you need to seperate how you feel about the persons involved and deal with the facts.

He is poisoning people…and very possibly leading to the death of babies…

I have zero sympathy for such people and hope he and his organization are shut down soon.

21. #21 by John Williams on July 20, 2011 - 09:20

The sense of moral superiority on here is too much. Has anyone heard the word humility? Or has it been completely dissolved in arrogance. Almost everyone on here questions this treatment yet you assume that there are “lesser people” who are too dumb to decide for themselves. Where children are concerned ethical and moral questions certainly arise but adults have their own free will and are personally responsible for themselves. Educating people on the harms and evidentiary problems is definitely worthwhile but some people take it too far.
    A recent discovery involving dichloro-acetate which has been ridiculed as snakoil in the past is reason to give pause to the unfounded certainty some people express. This is a drug in which the patent protection has lapsed and therefore their is no monetary incentive for pharmaceutical corporations, in the business of making money, to investigate it’s efficacy in cancer treatment. Based on anecdotal evidence the University of Alberta in Edmonton solicited donations, sad yet inspiring, to research this drug. The results so far are cautiously optimistic here are 2 articles:

This shows that it is entirely possible that so-called snakeoil may actually have benefits for cancer patents and that no one bothers investigating it because there is no monetary incentive to do so. Sad but obviously true. Based on that I hope some people reevaluate there hard-line stance on this issue. If a few visionary doctors in Alberta and those that donated had demonstrated the arrogant certainty, that is fairly common trait in regards to this issue, the possibility of discovering what may be a cheap effective cancer drug: dichloro-acetate, would never have materialized.
    I believe it is important to realize that self fulfilling prophecies not only occur in the positive case, where actions cause what is feared or desired, they also work in the negative sense where if one believes something is impossible they are almost certain to be right due to their inaction in bringing it about.

22. #22 by dick hughes on August 10, 2013 - 01:38

I have used MMS with some success. One of your comments referred to crohn’s disease which I should point out is not a viral or bacterial disease and so would be helped by MMS. When I feel the start of a cold or flu tickling the back of my throat, I take a dozen drops or so of MMS and it dies in its tracks. It does not, as far as I am aware, cure cancer. What it does do is reduce the viral and bacterial load we all carry and thus allow the immune system to have a fighting chance.
    My first experience with sodium chlorite was to share a large bottle with a friend who wanted to use it to raise her PH. It sat on a shelf unused for a year. When I heard Jim Humble’s presentation, I said to myself, “Oh well, I already have some of that”. Months later a friend had trouble with a cold that would not go away. I visited him and gave him 10 drops of what was probably a weak solution of MMS. His head cleared in half an hour, his throat pain eased in another half hour. As we said goodbye at the door an hour and a half after his taking the drops, his wife commented on how clear his voice now sounded. He said you’re right, the cold is gone.
    I realize that as professional skeptic you must forever hunt for fresh grist for your mill. Writers have to write after all. Still, not everything, not out of the mouths of doctors, is hokum. In the minds of some skeptics, the earth is still flat and the universe still revolves around the earth, just like the experts said.

23. #23 by adam on February 6, 2014 - 19:53

hello ive used mms several times it has worked for me , and it has not worked for me when i got swine flu a while back i used mms and followed the protocol on jims website i was very sick and feverish for 2days so sick i thought i was going to die as i was taking the stuff i said to my self either this stuff will kill me or make me better i was taking 3 drops every hour not exceeding the maximum daily intake he states and my fever broke on the 3rd day i kept taking it and i did get better maby it was my immune system that did it and mms had nothing to do with it i really dont know i do think that if the mms was poisinious as people claim i wouldnt have gotten better like i did i continued to take it for about 2 more weeks after and i eventually got up to 10 drops 2 times a day i got very sick at 10 drops my body wasnt ready for that much i stoped taking it then and was fine a couple days later i did have a bad stomach ache that wasnt going away so i went to my naturopath and told him what i had done , taking mms etc. he told me he had never heard of it and recomended i stop taking it he gave me some homeopathic remedy and my stomach ache was gone the next day he also sent me for blood work at my request to see if i had done any damage to my liver or kidneys from the mms sure enough my blood work came back fine he said i was extremely healthy and nothing to worry about i specificaly asked him about chlorine levels or anything like that he said no everything was great so my conclusion was mms seems to be safe seeing how i had taken quite a bit of it while i was very sick i got better it did get me sick but only when i had taken to much witch is what is stated on his website since then my son had a real bad cough so nasty that at night it would break my heart to hear him we took him to the doctor (not a naturopath) and got him antibiotics i was not willing to try mms on my son at that moment because even though i felt good about after reading all the bad press of mms i didnt want to go that route with my boy. health canada had just issued a warning about it and i figured lets just go to the dr.the antibiotics didnt work and my son was still coughing all night for weeks . i decided to use mms he was better in 2days

24. #24 by adam on February 6, 2014 - 20:02

i ran out of space there. and my apoligy for not using periods. this is my first time commenting on something like this. anyhow i did try mms on some planters warts on my feet and had no success. there is a video on utube about mms curing milaria in uganda . go to utube and type in mms red cross and im sure it will come up. it seems to b quite genuine. anyway i hope all the best to any1 trying to heal themselves hopfully my experience will help u make the right choise

25. #25 by Lucinda Harrington on December 20, 2014 - 22:28

I wrote a long comment but it didn’t get sent. so I am trying to see if it gets posted before I go to all the trouble of writing it again!

26. #26 by Lucinda Harrington on December 20, 2014 - 22:45

After listening to this interview with Jim Humble I felt I needed to post the following comment.

Jim Humble explains how mms helps to releive pain after a burn. The explanation he gives is that when you experience a burn your body releases acid which causes pain the mms ph helps to neutralize the acid and relieve the pain symptoms. After hearing this I did some of my own research and found this on a scientific website! this is the link http://neuroscience.uth.tmc.edu/s2/chapter06.html
    and this is the explanation they give below
    Arachidonic acid. Arachidonic acid is one of the chemicals released during tissue damage. It is then metabolized into prostaglandin (and cytokines). The action of the prostaglandins is mediated through a G protein, protein kinase A cascade. The prostaglandins block the potassium efflux released from nociceptors following damage, which results in additional depolarization. This makes the nociceptors more sensitive. Aspirin is an effective pain killer because it blocks the conversion of arachidonic acid to prostaglandin.

The interviewer says he has never heard of this and seems to be belittling the explanation gave by Jim Humble. Maybe he needs to do his research but like so many interviewers or journalists they do not and it seems easier to mock than to find out if their is any substance in something.

I also read the article and think that the comments about Jim Humble not being very clear minded is unfair. Considering he is over eighty years of age, he is able to communicate and explain things very well. Would the interviewer be this competent I wonder at that age.

27. #27 by Lucinda Harrington on December 20, 2014 - 23:00

Just realized my comments will most probably not be posted as they express some criticism of the way the interview was handled.

28. #28 by lisa marie on January 7, 2015 - 10:08

Do a little research… look at what happened to rick Simpson in canada, a guy who was making cannabis oil, with peoples own cannabis plants, for NO profit, curing people of many diseases, he was dragged through the courts for 3 years before he had to leave Canada for his safety and now resides in europe. That is why jim humble forming tthe genesis church is for protection, to ensure the same does not happen to him and others. The cancer industry in us/canada is one of the most profitable. The companies in power would they want people to treat themselves with mms at the cost of ten quid?? If you think they would you are extremely naive… much cost and effort has gone into scaremongering and ridiculing mms in the hope it stops people using. If you had tried it yourself or spoke with people who have used, your article would have had better balance…watch the red cross mms video, read about how that was stopped from official release. Jim humble approached bill gates in the hope his wealth would conduct trials and mainstream this cure. Bill gates response was there are too many people and some must be allowed to die… for those who wish to try mms, you can read the 1000s of peoples questions and comments on jim humbles genesis church website, honest average people trying mms, wondering, asking for peoples experiences, to make informed decisions about their own lives. I would listen to and trust these far more than any doctor, company or medicine produced by a multi billion dollar company. If you think about it, its 2015, chemotherapy is the no. 1 way to treat (not cure) cancer. Its barbaric and kills all cells, and the hope is you are strong enough to live through it. Do you seriously accept and believe that in 2015, with all our technology that is the best treatment those in power can come
    up with? It continues to make billion aires more powerful but only cures 3% of cases. But we all buy into it, as that’s what we are told is the only available treatment. Its your life, mms offers you an option, you can choose for yourself what treatments to try, but don’t ridicule and dismiss someone like jim humble for offering you a choice

29. #29 by steve b on April 3, 2015 - 13:26

I first heard about MMS when a child protection agency took away seven children from a family with a search warrant that alleged the parents had MMS in the house. There was no consultation beforehand, they just tore the family apart and tramatised the kids no end in the name of ‘protecting’ the children from the MMS. It is a self evident truth that these actions were not done for the benefit of the children so it got me curious about MMS. I bought one of jim humble’s books and then ordered some MMS. Looking online I found lots of comments which said “It works.” It’s too early yet for me to say whether MMS is snake-oil or not but I am an adult and I am free to trial MMS on myself and I would hate to ever lose that freedom. Yes I know the unknown has risks but don’t kid yourself about the FDA keeping you safe. It’s estimated that worldwide every year a million people die from drugs which are approved by the FDA and applied correctly.

30. #30 by Galahad on April 11, 2015 - 01:38

Wow – I had to read down to comment 25 or so before finding a sceptic worthy of the name.

Your comment “Readers are strongly advised not to try MMS, as it is highly dangerous substance which has never been shown to have any health benefits” is totally inappropriate.

First – For anyone interested in the truth, first of all – chlorine dioxide, the activated form of MMS is safe. You can read a scientific report show so below – in fact it was proposed as an alternative to chlorine in drinking water: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1569027/pdf/envhper00463-0059.pdf

Secondly, MMS has been shown to cure malaria: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrwZN1cPfX8

Thirdly – it can cure autism. Yes – really: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcTMge7MOH8

Finally – as further evidence of its safety and usefulness, the EU has approved chlorine dioxide for ALS: http://www.andreaskalcker.com/en/blog/events/144-sodium-chlorite-for-treating-amyotrophic-lateral-sclerosis.html

You should ask yourselves why are you being lied to.

(Again, to be clear, there is *no* evidence that sodium chlorite is effective in treating anything, and plenty of evidence that it is deeply harmful stuff. Readers are strongly advised not to try MMS, as it is highly dangerous substance which has never been shown to have any health benefits – Marsh)