“Burning Anus!” – A Little Bit Of Homeopathic Feedback

From time to time we at 10:23 get some pretty brilliant hate mail. Every now and again, one stands head and shoulders above the rest, and deserves to be shared – when this one dropped into the inbox last night, I knew it was one such piece. Enjoy!

From:  Lunarain
To:  contact@1023.org.uk
Date:  20 November 2010 21:05
Subject:  You did it all wrong

You should have consulted a homeopath when conducting your overdose. Any lay homeopath could have told you that the best way to produce symptoms using homeopathy is to REPEAT THE DOSE. That is how homepathic remedies are proven, duh!

Try this…

Arsenicum Album 30C or up higher, try a 200C

Repeat dose 3 times daily until symptoms appear. Stop them if you don’t want the damage to be permanant but continue if you really want to be a believer in the power of homeopathy.

You should begin to feel a burning from your mouth to your anus, incredibly painful. Go on, try it….

That is why homeopaths know that the minutest dose can cure,

It’s unfortunate that you haven’t seen the positive effects of homeopathy, because it is cheap to produce, and can make a big difference in the poor populations of the world, as well as the rich, that’s probably why India funds homeopathic hospitals, saves the gov’t lots of money, and EFFECTIVELY CURES!

And my response:

From:  Michael Marshall <michael.marshall@merseysideskeptics.org.uk>
To:  lunarain
Date:  21 November 2010 15:07
Subject:  Re: You did it all wrong

Hi ‘Lunarain’

Nice to hear from you, and thanks for your feedback.

As it happens, we know a little more about homeopathy than you gave us credit for. We actually know that homeopaths believe that we need to REPEAT THE DOSE DUH as you put it. We’d done the research. Hence, why Mike did this:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0Z2_K9yup0

I think you’ll find it alarmingly similar to the very test you describe. A week of taking Nux Vom 3 times a day, as advised by a homeopath no less. Mike (cc’d) was not damaged, and therefore not permanently so either. He wasn’t taking Arsen Album, so he didn’t get the burning mouth and anus you seem to wish he got, nor any of the pain you appear to hope he experienced. Sorry to disappoint you with that one.

This, along with a myriad of other reasons, is why people who learn about homeopathy know it’s not able to cure anything.

I’m intrigued by the idea that homeopathy is cheap to produce, though – when I took my own homeopathic overdose, I paid £5 for 84 pills. How cheaply would those pills have been produced? It’d be interesting to know how much profit you believe the homeopath made from me on that single vial of products. If it is indeed so cheap to produce, it must be immensely profitable – no wonder you and other homeopaths are so keen on it!

I wish the homeopathic hospitals of India were effective – as it happens the life expectancy in India is significantly lower than that of countries with real healthcare, with a variance of 20 years or so. It’d be a great world where people weren’t dying because they were advised that ineffective medicines could cure their fatal diseases. I hope I live long enough to see it.

All the best, and thanks again for wishing us burning anuses/mouths etc!
Marsh
10:23

, ,

1. #1 by XtalDave on November 21, 2010 - 17:28

Worth pointing out that homeopathy is *not* I repeat NOT a fish, either.

2. #2 by Amber K on November 21, 2010 - 19:45

Marsh,
    I really appreciate your ability to counter someone’s arguments in an amusing way, while still retaining your civility and polite language. This requires so much more intelligence and thought than calling people names and being a dick. Well done.

3. #3 by Tom Williamson on November 21, 2010 - 23:07

Amber K :
    Marsh,

I disagree, should have replied with a simple “fuck off”.

4. #4 by martin on November 21, 2010 - 23:09

Yeah and if the 200C doesn’t work try a 500C! Tremble at the awesome power of errr … nothing … diluted a whole lot more!

I think this guy should be prosecuted under the UK anti-terror laws. One drop of this stuff in a reservoir would be so dilute that it could wipe out the entire country.

5. #5 by Amber K on November 22, 2010 - 00:42

@Tom, I dunno. I think “fuck off” can be somewhat like homeopathy, overused and ineffective. Plus it wouldn’t have made me laugh as much, but point taken.

6. #6 by Jonathan on November 22, 2010 - 08:40

I’m intrigued by the idea of a “lay homeopath”. It’s kind of trying to get some religious idea going on there. Who are the established, official homeopaths then?

7. #7 by Rob H on November 22, 2010 - 10:25

I love this:
    “Arsenicum Album 30C or up higher, try a 200C Repeat dose 3 times daily until symptoms appear. ”

Repeat until symptoms appear. So if you take it for a while and nothing happens you didn’t take it for long enough. If you keep taking it and eventually something happens to you then *ta-daa* the homeopathy had an effect!

8. #8 by Neuroskeptic on November 22, 2010 - 12:10

If you really want to a feel a burning from your mouth to your anus, just eat a really hot curry.

9. #9 by @DT_1975 on November 22, 2010 - 13:12

So is Arsenicum Album a homeopathic version of a Jalfrezi? That also causes burning in the mouth and the anus…

10. #10 by Tony on November 22, 2010 - 14:38

If it’s true then the Government should start putting these dangerous homeopaths in prison where they can pose no threat to everyone’s anus…

11. #11 by Dr Paul on November 22, 2010 - 16:26

A lawyer friend told me that were I to market sugar pills as homeopathic remedies, without going through the dilution rigmarole, I could be done for fraud, despite the fact that my sugar pills would contain as little of the active ingredient as those produced by homeopaths in their prescribed manner.

Anyone out there with any ideas on this?

12. #12 by Amber K on November 22, 2010 - 20:26

@Dr. Paul –
    This is weird. I’m not sure how or if homeopathic drugs are in any way regulated in the US – but recently Hyland’s brand homeopathic teething remedy were pulled from the shelves for having “inconsistent amounts” of belladonna in the pills. I believe if they were “truly” homeopathic, there would be no detectable amount. Children were actually experiencing symptoms of belladonna poisoning. So if I’m not mistaken, the pills were recalled for containing the ingredient listed on the bottle. Clearly an odd legal situation.

13. #13 by Michael Gray on November 23, 2010 - 03:32

Tony :If I’ve understood Lunarain’s email correctly, someone could go to their local reservoir 3 times a day and with just a few drops of Arsenicum Album they could eventually cause permanent damage in the entire population.

How would one succuss a damn dam against a horse-hair and leather covered board?
    These slippery homeopathetics have a ready “out” for that charge.