Archive for February, 2014
Married exorcists, lying calendars, overstimulated babies and dodgy hips. Plus snakes, swaddling, submarines and spaceport. From the year AD 1717, it’s Skeptics with a K.
Former Lib Dem MP, Lembit Öpik is probably already a familiar face after appearances on Have I Got News For You and I’m a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here! However, you may not know that he is also a champion for near-earth object studies and a UFOlogist at the Association for the Scientific Study of Anomalous Phenomena. He talks to Be Reasonable about what this involves.
It’s been a little while since I’ve written a new Skeptics in the Pub talk, but I’ve recently been inspired to put something new together on the topic of hands-on skepticism, and the fun that can be had from exploring the pseudoscience around you.
I’d like to do as many talks as possible, so if you’d like me to talk for your Skeptics in the Pub, university group, humanist group or other, let me know and I’ll do my best to accommodate you. To book my talk, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lifting The Lid: Ongoing adventures in the world of pseudoscience
by Michael Marshall
It’s easy to think of pseudoscience existing in a glass case at a museum – something to be examined and critiqued from a safe distance, but not something to touch and to play with. Using examples taken from his own personal experiences in skepticism, Michael Marshall will show what happens when you begin to crack the surface of the pseudosciences that surround us – revealing the surprising, sometimes-shocking and often-comic adventures that lie beneath.
Michael Marshall is the Vice President of the Merseyside Skeptics Society and Project Director of the Good Thinking Society. He regularly speaks with proponents of pseudoscience for the Be Reasonable podcast. His work with the MSS has seen him organising international homeopathy protests and co-founding the popular QED conference. He has written for the Guardian, The Times and New Statesman.
Requirements: projector, screen, audio playback (this talk involves some short video clips with sound).
Catch me at:
- Lincoln Skeptics in the Pub – 4th August 2014
- Nottingham Skeptics in the Pub – 5th August 2014
- Nine Worlds Geekfest – 10th August 2014
- Edinburgh Skeptics on the Fringe – 15th August 2014
- Cambridge Skeptics in the Pub – 27th August 2014
- Winchester Skeptics in the Pub – 28th August 2014
- Barnsley Skeptics in the Pub – 4th September 2014
- Bournemouth Skeptics in the Pub – 10th September 2014
- Coventry Skeptics in the Pub – 17th September 2014
- Guildford Skeptics in the Pub – 24th September 2014
- Milton Keynes Skeptics in the Pub – 12th November 2014
- Horsham Skeptics in the Pub – 13th November 2014
- Greenwich Skeptics in the Pub – TBC
- Teeside Skeptics in the Pub – 3rd April 2014
- Plymouth Humanists – 22nd April 2014
- Exeter Skeptics in the Pub – 23rd April 2014
- Sheffield Skeptics in the Pub – 28th April 2014
- University of Liverpool Humanists – 29th April 2014
- Oxford Skeptics in the Pub – 8th May 2014
- Ealing Skeptics in the Pub – 12th May 2014
- Brighton Skeptics in the Pub – 10th June 2014
- Birmingham Skeptics in the Pub – 11th June 2014
- Leicester Skeptics in the Pub – 17th June 2014
- York Skeptics in the Pub – 23rd June 2014
- Bristol Skeptics in the Pub – 25th June 2014
- Stoke Skeptics in the Pub – 2nd July 2014
- Newcastle Skeptics in the Pub – 9th July 2014
- Greater Manchester Skeptics in the Pub – 10th July 2014