InKredulous: Episode #037

Episode 37 of our satirical comedy podcast.

Your host is Andy Wilson (@InKredulosi) of the Merseyside Skeptics Society and co-organiser of QED conference.

My guests were chock full of content so this is a BUMPER episode! And look out for the Easter Egg at the end where I realigned something from the show.

Appearing this time are:

As ever, thanks for listening and for all the lovely comments.

Support the MSS, our work and all of our podcasts by making a monthly contribution via Patreon.

1. #1 by Black Knight No. 3 on November 24, 2015 - 13:56

Oh dear, I’m only half an hour into this podcast and already George, Marsh and Andy are pissing me off. Unfortunately these three are still stuck in their nineteenth century view of (sexual) equality. Yes, they still think that by having quotas for how many people in government of each sex Canada has we are somehow improving the lot of women and being “more equal”.

This BS is getting tired, the day they care about who is right for the job (male, female, transgender, whatever) and not caring about meeting some magical, unexplained and probably biased number is the day I feel we are making progress to a truly equal society.

2. #2 by Hayley Stevens on November 24, 2015 - 19:21

Hi Black Knight No. 3,

Something I didn’t comment on during the episode is that the people elected into the cabinet were done so on merit, that 50% of them were women was great… but none of them were included just because they are women.

On the other hand, women who were capable of the job in decades gone by would not have been considered for the job for the very reason that they’re women. That’s why people are celebrating this.

3. #3 by Hellboy2112 on November 24, 2015 - 20:06

Thank sanity, you’ve done another show 🙂 When are you going to let me link them to Twitter & other media with one click?

4. #4 by Megan on November 24, 2015 - 20:59

Ex-Mormon here! On the podcast you talked about how Mormons posthumously baptize non-members and how you guys should add Hitler and Stalin to the list of people who should be baptized into the LDS Church. Just FYI, the Church has already beat you to it. They LOVE to baptize famous (or infamous) people. Especially before computers, many famous dead people have been baptized over and over again. Even holocaust victims (including Anne Frank) have been baptized. That’s why the Jews get especially frustrated with Mormons…

5. #5 by Chris on November 25, 2015 - 04:09

Black Knight: “Oh dear, I’m only half an hour into this podcast and already George, Marsh and Andy are pissing me off. ”

But you were cool with Hayley? Obviously it was noted that this particular podcast has been short of women participants. Though the ones they have had on earlier have been brilliant!

By the way: Hayley, it was great hearing from you again. I hope to hear you here again.

6. #6 by Black Knight No. 3 on November 25, 2015 - 09:01

@Chris: “But you were cool with Hayley?”, Yes, Hayley seemed to stay out of the “yippee, we’ve got quotas!” euphoria, much to her credit.

@Hayley: “the people elected into the cabinet were done so on merit”, Thanks for the clarification. I did consider this but thought that a 50/50 male/female split was much too suspicious. However, I haven’t researched this so I accept your data.

“On the other hand, women who were capable of the job in decades gone by would not have been considered for the job for the very reason that they’re women”

Absolutely! But these acts were not committed by today’s people and we don’t want to repeat these mistakes. After all, if this was the way to go America would have to give every black person a white slave.

7. #7 by Ian on November 25, 2015 - 14:24

Black Knight No. 3 :

Yeah that bit flopped for me so hard too. “So why is your cabinet split like this” is a very good question. I CAN be answered with “we’ve split it based on competence, not sex, it just happened to fall this way” (which is actually what happened, reading the further comment? I don’t know) with extra cheap points to be scored with “I guess the previous cabinet just underestimated women”. At this point the cabinet can be all male or all female for all I care, since gender shouldn’t matter, only competence.

Alternatively it can be answered the way he did answer, which is “it’s 2015”, which translates to “it is trendy to have this exact set of genitals when making a cabinet, we are ideologically motivated to believe the other guys in the past were wrong because their chosen set was wrong”. Some simple math in the latter case (the probability of getting a 50/50 split at random is 2*31!/(15!*16!*2^31)) allows us to say there’s over 72% probability that in engineering this specific split somebody in that cabinet got the job based on their junk as the deciding factor. That is the very lowest bound, too, with very generous assumptions (that are still realistic – you could get it much lower by assuming stuff like “there’s exactly 32 people in all of Canada”, but that’s not exactly useful). In this case both these numbers and the reasoning are hardly cause to celebrate – and honestly, with that having been the answer, I’m not at all sold that the supposed merit being the actual deciding factor isn’t just a smoke screen and the real reason wasn’t just trying to look “progressive”.

8. #8 by Chappy Charlie on December 10, 2015 - 17:35

Laugh out loud funny. And George Hrab has the most soothing voice, he could be the voice of the apocalypse and I’d probably find the whole thing a relaxing experience.

9. #9 by Black Knight No. 3 on March 25, 2016 - 14:26

Looks like it was just an attempt at making up quotas:
    see from 2:20 onwards.

I suggest now that we check the number of red-haired people in his cabinet to make sure they’re properly represented.

Sargon of Akkad’s take here: